Skilled Worker Visa
A Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer.
This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa.
To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:
- work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office
- have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you have been offered in the UK
- do a job that is on the list of eligible occupations
- be paid a minimum salary - how much depends on the type of work you do
Please note: You must have a confirmed job offer before you apply for your visa.
You must meet all the following requirements to be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa:
- your job is eligible for this visa
- you will be paid the minimum salary or the ‘going rate’ for the type of work you will be doing - whichever is higher
- you will be working for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office
You will usually need to be paid at least £25,600 per year unless the ‘going rate’ for your job is higher than this.
Knowledge of English
You must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English. You will usually need to prove your knowledge of English when you apply.
You must prove you can read, write, speak and understand English to at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.
You can prove your knowledge of English by:
- Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider.
- Having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English
- Having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English - if you studied abroad, you’ll need to
apply for confirmation through UK NARIC that your qualification is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD