The Tier 2 (Sportsperson) category permits selected sportspeople and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level, and will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport. Your application will need to be supported by your sport's governing body


In order to apply to come to or remain in the UK under Tier 2 (Sportsperson) of the points-based system you must score a total of 70 points under the points-based system.

Points are awarded as follows: 

  • Certificate of sponsorship and an endorsement from your sport's governing body:50 points
  • English language ability: 10 points
  • Maintenance funds: 10 points


An applicant may bring their dependants, including their spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, and/or children with them to the UK. However, the applicant/dependant must demonstrate the ability to support and maintain themselves in the UK. Dependants will also be eligble to work in the UK.


Once  you are granted permission to stay in the UK as a Tier 2 Sportsperson, you will be able to live and work in the UK for three years, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship, which ever time is shorter. At the end of this period if you want to stay you will need to apply to extend your stay as a skilled worker for a further 2 years.


To apply for settlement you must have been in the UK for 5 years under the Tier 2  (Sportsperson)and/or other eligible immigration categories and have sufficient English language ability and knowledge of life in the UK.

At present, your partner must have lived with you in the UK for a minimum of 2 years before they can apply for settlement. Your children can apply for settlement at the same time as you do.

Latest News