Tier 2 - General

Who can apply
If you are currently in the UK in an eligible category then you can apply to switch into the Tier 2 category from within the UK. If you are not in an eligible category you must make an Entry Clearance application from abroad.

In order to qualify you must have a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed employer (sponsor) and a valid certificate of sponsorship.

What is a Licensed Sponsor?
A UK Licensed Sponsor is a person or company who is responsible for employing workers from overseas. The UK Licensed Sponsor must be registered with the Home Office in order to assign Certificates of Sponsorship to applicants under the Tier 2 Employment Visa category.

Points assesment
To enter or remain in the United Kingdom you must score a total of 70  points under the points based system. You can claim points for the following:

  • Certificate of Sponsorship: 30 points for having a Tier 2 (General) certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor. Your sponsor will also need to confirm on which basis they are assigning it:
  • the job has an annual salary of £150,000 or more; or
  • the job is on the shortage occupation list; or
  • your sponsor has completed a resident labour market test; or
  • you are switching from a post-study category; or
  • applying to extend your stay, you will be working for the same sponsor in the same job.  
  • Appropriate Salary and allowances; 20 points
  • English Language ability; 10 points for your English language ability
  • Maintenance; 10 points for maintenance (funds).

Once  you are granted permission to stay in the UK as a Tier 2 General skilled worker, you will be able to live and work in the UK for three years, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship, which ever time is shorter. At the end of this period if you want to stay you will need to apply to extend your stay as a skilled worker for a further 2 years.

An applicant may bring their dependants, including their spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, and/or children with them to the UK. However, the applicant/dependant must demonstrate the ability to support and maintain themselves in the UK. Dependants will also be eligble to work in the UK.

Settlement and British Citizenship
To apply for settlement you must have been in the UK for 5 years under the Tier 2 General and/or other eligible immigration categories and have sufficient English language ability and knowledge of life in the UK. 

If you are applying for settlemnt on or after 6 April 2016 you must also show that you are being paid:

£35,000 per year (before tax); or
the correct rate of pay for your job as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 sponsors, whichever is the highest.

What we can do for you
Speak to one of our specialist UK accredited immigration advisors who will work with you on a one to one basis to ensure you are relieved of the stress and worry inherent with immigration applications. Our team of experienced advisors will manage your application quickly and easily from start to finish.

Your personal advisor will:

  • Obtain detailed instructions of your individual circumstances
  • List collate and review all supporting documents to validate accuracy of the documents
  • Fully prepare and complete your Tier 2 application/draft professional legal representations to the Home Office in support of your application.
  • Submit your Tier 2 application
  • Routinely chase the home office for a decision and provide you with updates accordingly

Latest News