Health and Care Worker visa

A Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care.


To qualify for a Health and Care Worker visa, you must:

  • Be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional
  • Work in an eligible health or social care job
  • Work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you have been offered in the UK
  • Be paid a minimum salary - how much depends on the type of work you do

Please note: You must have a confirmed job offer before you apply for your visa.

Approved UK health and care sector employers

You must have a job offer from an approved UK employer before you apply for a Health and Care Worker visa. Approved employers are also known as sponsors because they are sponsoring you to come to or stay in the UK.

You must have a job offer from:

  • The NHS
  • An organisation providing medical services to the NHS
  • An organisation providing adult social care

Salary Requirements

You will usually need to be paid at least £20,480 per year unless the ‘going rate’ for your job is higher than this.

Level of English

You must prove you can read, write, speak and understand English to at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.

You can prove your knowledge of English by:

  • Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider.
  • Having a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English
  • Having a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English - if you studied abroad, you’ll need to
     apply for confirmation through UK NARIC that your qualification is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD

Latest News